Penwortham Golf Club has a thriving Ladies Section, with around 100 members and between 60 and 70 playing regularly in the competitions. There are 18 hole and 9 hole competitions held each Tuesday from April to the beginning of October, with both day and evening tee times available. In addition, a number of major competitions are held on a Sunday. There is a good mix of stablefords and medals and booking for the majority of the competitions is online so it is easy to get a game.
For people who enjoy matchplay, there is a singles and a foursomes knockout and Penwortham Ladies Section is involved in 5 different external team matchplay competitions to cover different handicap ranges, as follows:-
(1) The Miller Team - run by the Royal Lytham, for ladies with handicaps 20.5 to 35.
(2) The Vets. Team - run by Royal Lytham, for ladies aged 55 and over with a maximum handicap of 30.
(3) The Handicap Team – This is run by the Lancashire Ladies County Golf Association and is for players with handicaps up to 24.4.
(4) The Scratch Team - This is run by the Lancashire Ladies and is for players with low handicaps because the matches are played off scratch.
(5) The Mail on Sunday knock-out
Over the winter months, there are 9 hole eclectic competitions on a Tuesday, a 9 hole winter league on Thursday and Mixed Competitions at least one week per month on a Sunday.
There is also a good social side too, whether it is the informal post game drinks/meals, the more formal dinners or the excellent entertainment nights organised by the Social Committee.